Posted By Russ Johnson,
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Updated: Wednesday, September 30, 2009
| Comments (0)
We are so fortunate to have been able to get such a successful Utah businessman to present for our Entrepreneurship Seminar Series.
One of the most heralded sports, media and entertainment executives, Mr. Checketts currently serves as Chairman of SCP Worldwide (SCP) this fast growing company. The company acquired the St. Louis Blues of the National Hockey League, Scottrade Center and Kiel Opera House. In 2004, SCP acquired the twelfth Major League Soccer (MLS) franchise launching Real Salt Lake. SCP also owns sports-talk radio station KALL 700 AM, “The Zone”, also in Salt Lake City, has a controlling interest in Running Subway, an entertainment production company, and this year acquired Tupelo-Honey, a heralded media production company. In addition, SCP has a long-term marketing partnership with world renowned soccer club Real Madrid, and also owns exclusive multi-platform rights to the prestigious 2010 South American World Cup Qualifying tournament matches. He is Governor of the New York Knicks (NBA), Rangers (NHL) and Liberty (WNBA. Now THIS is a man who definitely has leadership skills that have served him well!
His presentation was so interesting and he talked about many leadership skills that would serve people well as they consider or enter the world of entrepreneuship.
Student response regarding the Dave Checketts presentation…
• "… taught us some essential leadership skills including: believing in yourself, having a certain sense of poise and calm, the ability to inspire others, be competitive, create trust and raise capital. If I follow these things, I believe that I will become a successful business man."
• "… you need to have a passion for your business and spend money. I really enjoyed listening to his presentation he made me want to really go out and start a business."
• "… a better understanding of how important research is and how to do it. It was because of his research that he was so successful."
• "… the definition of wealth is having control over your own time. I really enjoyed this presentation, and have over a page of notes that I can use to reflect on for my life."
• "… inspired me to keep going on with school, no matter how hard it might get."