Excited to live blogging from the Miami Dade College NACCE Summit
- Matt Haggman, Program Director, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
How Is Entrepreneurship a Tool to Build Community?
'Our mission to to understand and deliver on how do you connect and support entrepreneurship - doers, makers, entrepreneurs of ALL Kinds. The bet was that if you did it well, it would result in greater community engagement, empowered problem solvers, and retention of local.'
Miami is the perfect place to grow an trep ecosystem
- Strong diversity
- Very fluid - new people coming into a new places means new ideas come in
- Significant wealth
- Strong creative community which feeds trep ecosystem
- Strong educational system
- Many startups but need more scale ups, to show success
Knight's Ideas on Growing Ecosystems
- Create networks, not hierarchies
- Conduct experiments before you scale
- Do not reinvent, when you can import
- Create opportunities for shared learning - 2,000 people at Maker Faer, 8,000 members of MeetUp
How do you measure success?
We are learning as we are going but here are the current measurements.
- Measure participation and engagement
- New ideas created that are validated by investment
- Retain young talent in the city