Posted By Karen-Michelle Mirko,
Monday, November 18, 2013
| Comments (0)
Excited to live blog
Presenter: Felecia Hatcher, Chief Popsicle Officer, Feverish Popsicle & Gourmet Ice Cream
I need to get the video for Felecia's talk. Too many good things (and laughs!) to type.
Big "Ah Has"
- She got $120K+ in scholarships as a C student. Yup, C.
- She used her college assets - dorm phone, copy machine - to launch her first business.
- Her mom, who said she had to go to college, also said she should start a business based on work she was doing without charging. As a mom myself, I tend to focus on being an employee. Shame on me, I know.
- You cannot take passion to the bank to pay your bills.
- Dad told her not to "take a break" from a business even though she was in debt and had a lucrative presenter gig lined up. Parents are Influencers.
- More people need to share their stories of failure. The myth is that it is a straight line to $3 billion buyout. In truth, there are a lot of ups and down and not always a buy out.
- "Adversity" - double job layoff for husband and wife founder team - helped then launch their business.
- Lots of stories about "Bird in the Hand" - "We used what we had."
- Entrepreneurs are scrappy. 40 year old truck for catering event broke down, so they towed it to the site and then when it broke down again, they pushed the truck to the site.
- When she work at large firms, she made to sure to learn from those firms their best practices that she could apply to her company.
Miami Dade College; Regional Summit