Recognition Awards presented in 10 categories at 8th Annual NACCE Conference
Thursday, October 28, 2010
Posted by: Matthew Montoya
Lifetime Achievement and Student Essay Contest Awards Also Given Out
Springfield, MA – Oct. 27, 2010 – Nine community college professionals were honored for their work in entrepreneurship education at the 8th Annual Conference of the National Association for Community College Entrepreneurship (NACCE), held earlier this month in Orlando, FL. In addition, a Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to B.W. (Bernie) Simpkins, of Cocoa, FL, who founded B.W. Simpkins Oil Co. and built it from a four-person start-up into a $140 million business that transformed from an oil delivery firm into a convenience store empire, and a Student Essay Contest winner was honored.
The Recognition Awards, which were given for the first time this year, went to people nominated in nine categories. "The categories of these awards showcase the breadth of work being done at community colleges across the country,” said NACCE Executive Director Heather Van Sickle. "We are very pleased to be able to honor these outstanding NACCE members for the hard work they are doing to create effective, accessible, and comprehensive entrepreneurship education offerings at their institutions.”
The award categories and the winners were:
• Supporting Existing Entrepreneurs - Tim Mittan, Southwest Community College, Lincoln, NE
• Curriculum Development and Enhancement – Nicolle Panuthos, St. Petersburg College, St. Petersburg, FL
• Effective Partnerships and Collaborations – Beth Pridday, Minnesota Community & Technical College, Detroit Lakes, MN
• Emerging Entrepreneurship Programs– J. Pat Fuller, Brevard Community College, Cocoa, FL
• Entrepreneurial President – Donald Snyder, Lehigh Carbon Community College, Schnecksville, PA
• Global Entrepreneurship Educator/Leader – Pernille Berg, Niels Brock Copenhagen Business College, Copenhagen, Denmark
• Innovation – Lynne Wolf, St. Petersburg College, St. Petersburg, FL
• Marketing My Program – Heather Nelson, Metropolitan Community College, Omaha, NE
• Specialty & Outreach Programs – Doris Lux, Central Community College, Columbus, NEOther Awards
B.W. (Bernie) Simpkins received NACCE's Lifetime Achievement Award, which is given in recognition of a lifetime of entrepreneurial achievement that encompasses the ideals of entrepreneurial activity - education, application, and giving back. Simpkins, a community activist and long-time member of the Board of Trustees of Brevard Community College in Cocoa, FL, has endowed the Entrepreneurship Program at Brevard with a generous financial contribution of $1 million, and is a valued member of the E-ship Committee. He sponsors the annual B.W. Simpkins Business Seminar at the college, which brings successful entrepreneurs to speak at Brevard.
This year's winner of the Student Essay Contest was Sean Poggi, a student at Brevard Community College. In an essay entitled "Entrepreneurship Is the Key,” Poggi wrote about his belief that "with affordable tuition community colleges have become an ideal place to create and nurture entrepreneurs.”
NACCE connects community college administrators and faculty with knowledge and successful practices regarding entrepreneurial thinking, entrepreneurship education, and student business incubation. NACCE holds an annual conference and symposium, publishes a quarterly journal, hosts monthly webinars and podcasts and a dynamic list-serv, develops Web resources such as shared entrepreneurship curricula and syllabi for faculty, and creates guides in beginning and sustaining entrepreneurship and student business incubation programs as well as tips for grant proposals specific to entrepreneurial endeavors at community colleges. For more information, visit http://www.nacce.com/.