2020 Verizon Innovative Learning Registration - Girls
Registration will open in early Spring 2020.
In support of underrepresented populations in STEM fields, the Verizon Foundation, through its education initiative Verizon Innovation Learning, works with middle school rural young women across the country to teach next-gen tech skills and entrepreneurship. Rural young women have less access to advanced STEM courses and hands-on STEM enrichment programs. Providing access to these programs can be the solution to keeping these students in school and cultivating their success.
In partnership with leading educational nonprofit organizations, Verizon Foundation's mission is to inspire students to pursue careers in STEM to create better futures not only for themselves but also for their communities.
The 2020-2021 Verizon Innovative Learning program will focus on providing STEM and entrepreneurial skills to underserved middle school rural young women throughout the school year, beginning with a three-week hands-on summer camp hosted on college campuses. The summer camp is followed by monthly after-school sessions through the host campus, including local and virtual field trips along with ongoing mentorship from adult male mentors working in STEM fields.
We and the participating community colleges are excited to join Verizon’s mission in ensuring digital inclusion, for all students to have an equal opportunity to a brighter future. Through this program, middle school girls will learn skills like coding, 3D printing, augmented and virtual reality and entrepreneurship through on-campus summer courses, as well as monthly engagements during the school year. To learn more, please visit www.VerizonInnovativeLearning.com.
- The camp will consist of a summer three-week intensive learning experience including courses in augmented and virtual reality, coding, 3D design, entrepreneurship and design thinking principles. Please note: Dates and times vary by college location.
- Following the summer, the students will participate in monthly sessions throughout the academic year where they will develop a technology solution for a community problem that aligns with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Please note: Dates and times vary by college location.
- Lunch, refreshments and transportation to/from the college will be provided to the campers at no-cost during the summer sessions.
- Technology equipment will be provided for student usage and learning throughout the Program.
- There is no cost to attend this camp.