New River Community and Technical College
Friday, February 20, 2014
New River Community and Technical College is West Virginia's newest independently accredited institution of higher education. Although newly founded and named, the College's origins span more than one hundred thirty years of service to West Virginia through its two parent institutions, Bluefield State College and Glenville State College. New River serves a nine-county area and offers a full range of community college programs and services at five locations.
According to the 2012 Vision Shared Report, "Entrepreneurial Revolution: A Vision for Entrepreneurial Growth in West Virginia,” several strategies were discovered that should support the efforts to make West Virginia a more encouraging environment for entrepreneurial innovation. Our Summit will address three of these strategies: help the public understand why entrepreneurship is so important, increase networking opportunities for entrepreneurs, and strengthen entrepreneurs’ connections to higher education institutions. According to the 2011 Kauffman Index of Entrepreneurial Activity, West Virginia exhibited the lowest entrepreneurial activity rate, with 150 per 100,000 people starting new businesses each month. It is for these reasons that more business development resources need to be brought into our small, rural communities.
Our theme will be an Entrepreneurship Education Adventure Summit. It will be important for us to focus on the adventure of teaching entrepreneurship creatively to entice students and the public to recognize
the importance. Our slogan will be "unlikely adventures require unlikely tools” and we will work in the wild, wonderful component of West Virginia’s natural assets.
- The New River Community and Technical College’s NACCE Summit will provide the tools and educational resources for participants to help the public understand why entrepreneurship is so important.
- The New River Community and Technical College’s NACCE Summit will provide the tools and educational resources for participants to help increase networking opportunities for entrepreneurs.
- The New River Community and Technical College’s NACCE Summit will serve as a catalyst to strengthen entrepreneurs’ connections to higher education institutions.
According to William Howarth’s "The Value of Rural Life in American Culture,” 84 percent of the United States' inhabitants live in suburban and urban areas, but cities occupy only 10 percent of the country. Rural areas occupy the remaining 90 percent. The issues we will be examining that are targeted to the rural nature of West Virginia can be applied to the other rural areas in our country.