NACCE & IBM: Skills-Based Learning to Support Your Classroom
IBM recently launched IBM SkillsBuild, which brings together two world-class, skills-based learning programs—"Open P-TECH" and "SkillsBuild"—under one brand. Through IBM SkillsBuild, students, educators, job seekers, and the organizations that support them can access free digital learning, resources, and support focused on the core technology and workplace skills needed to succeed in "new collar" jobs.
NACCE and IBM will convene five member colleges to review the SkillsBuild platform to develop an educator resource portal, or toolkit for future faculty to take advantage of the resources offered on the platform within their classroom to support learning outcomes and student success.
Lead faculty will receive a stipend of $5,000 plus conference registration & travel for the participating in the pilot program.
The Application Period Opens October 20, 2021
Applications meeting the following requirements are invited to apply.
- The applicant is a faculty member of a NACCE member college
- The individual and/or college has the operational and physical capacity to participate monthly meetings, review of the platform, providing feedback and guidance in the development of the toolkit
Selected colleges will identify a faculty member that will work to coordinate, collaborate, and facilitate interaction with the student population to foster registered and active users on the IBM SkillsBuild platform. These efforts will be measured by the following outcomes:
- Upskill, reskill, and prepare the workforce for the future of work through community colleges reaching enrolled students and community members.
- Close the digital skills gap, especially in underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Ensure access and equity for learners at all stages and on all paths of life and of work.
- Create opportunity for entrepreneurs and small business owners to “level up” their skills for success project success.
- Connecting communities to employability opportunities through the SkillsBuild platform
- Providing hands-on learning experiences through the SkillsBuild Platform.
- Support for the creation of a hub at the college recruit and onboard two additional faculty and 200 student-users onto the IBM SkillsBuild platform
Want more information?
NACCE is an organization of educators, administrators, presidents and entrepreneurs focused on igniting entrepreneurship in their communities and campuses. NACCE has two main goals: to empower college leaders to approach the business of running a community college with an entrepreneurial mindset and to grow the community college's role in supporting job creation and entrepreneurs in their local ecosystem. NACCE unites a dynamic network of community colleges. For more information, visit www.nacce.com. Follow us on Twitter at @NACCE, like us on Facebook, and join our LinkedIn group.
About IBM & Education
IBM's longstanding commitment to education has long been core to its corporate social responsibility initiatives. Ten years ago, IBM launched its P-TECH program, a revolutionary public education model designed to address the high-tech skills gap. Additionally, the company has created upskilling and reskilling programs for community members in every stage of their learning journeys. These teach technical skills for job roles that involve cybersecurity, quantum computing, cognitive AI, design thinking, and digital marketing. They also offer and human-centered professional workplace proficiencies for resume building, collaboration, presentation, time management – even mindfulness. IBM offers these with a mix of hands-on and virtual programs to reach people wherever they are globally.