2021 Verizon Innovative Learning Registration - Boys
Registration will open in early Spring 2021.
Verizon Innovative Learning provides free technology, access and innovative learning programs that transforms the learning experience, and also provides the tools necessary for remote learning to enable students to develop the skills, knowledge, and capabilities they need. Verizon Innovative Learning is a key part of Verizon’s goal to help move the world forward for all as part of Citizen Verizon, our plan for economic, environmental, and social advancement.
Launched in 2015, the Verizon Innovative Learning programs for Young Men of Color, Rural Young Women, including non-binary gender students were the first-of their kind created to teach middle school students next-gen technology, STEM and entrepreneurship skills through hands-on, interactive instruction. The program initially was launched at select Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) and Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSI) to focus on young men of color. Then in collaboration with national non-profit partner NACCE, it was expanded to include girls in 2017, supplementing existing opportunities for girls in urban areas and other communities by partnering with community colleges in rural locations.
The programs begin with a summer immersion experience and then meets monthly year-round. It partners the students with mentors, and exposes them to the many career opportunities that STEM, technology and entrepreneurship hold for their futures. The programs equip boys and girls with insights to become creators and makers through 3D design and printing, coding and app development, virtual and augmented reality and more.
The mentorship activities provided in both programs are based on self-empowerment. These activities are realized through a focus on each student’s unique goals. The individual practices that college mentors focus on Rural Young Women include self-meditation, confidence building, fear conquering, and public speaking. Also, the Young Men of Color mentorship opportunities are focused on exploring cultural differences, holistic development, social empowerment, and career exploration. College students provide mentorship for the program participants in STEM fields to speak to the students about career journeys. Mentorship opportunities are set to expand to all campuses and include mentorship assisted by high school students in the summer of 2021.
We and the participating colleges are excited to join Verizon’s mission in ensuring digital inclusion, for all students to have an equal opportunity to a brighter future. Through this program, middle school boys will learn skills like coding, 3D printing, augmented and virtual reality and entrepreneurship through on-campus summer courses, as well as monthly engagements during the school year. To learn more, please visit www.VerizonInnovativeLearning.com.
- The camp will consist of a summer three-week intensive learning experience including courses in augmented and virtual reality, coding, 3D design, entrepreneurship and design thinking principles. Please note: Dates and times vary by college location.
- Following the summer, the students will participate in monthly sessions throughout the academic year where they will develop a technology solution for a community problem that aligns with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Please note: Dates and times vary by college location.
- Lunch, refreshments and transportation to/from the college will be provided to the campers at no-cost during the summer sessions.
- Technology equipment will be provided for student usage and learning throughout the Program.
- There is no cost to attend this camp.